Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Catch-up

Can I just say how busy my life has become, and my blog has suffered from it. I don't even remember the last thing I wrote. That is when you know that it has been a long time. So, I will just give you some highlights from the last week and a half.

Over the last week, I have done many reading and phonics lessons which has been a great experience. I also, had the opportunity to take over the afternoon portion of the day last Thursday. I led factoid testing, pack up and took the kids out to the bus. It was a good successful afternoon! Jamie even left the room to work with a student one on one. It was just the students and me - I was a little scared at first but, grew more and more confident at time went on.

Last Friday, I taught my first math lesson. The kids have just started a new unit about data, so we played "guess my rule" with Yakkites (YAK-TEE). A Yakkite is just a fictional alien - and no two Yakkites look the same. It was so much fun. First, I read the story about how they came to earth and started to reveal some on the Yakkites so that the students can begin to see how they are different. Then as a group we played "guess my Yakkite" and the kids were really in to it.

On Monday, while I was helping some students during writers workshop, I met with students and edited their papers. After I was done with a students I looked over my shoulder to see the principal of the school watching me - talk about instant nerves! I said, "hi" and continued on with with my work.

Those are the highlights from the last week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment