Thursday, January 7, 2010

Learning the Routine

I have just finished up my first full day at Seattle Hill, and it was a great learning experience. I spend the whole day in one of my classrooms to learn their normal Thursday schedule. Because, next Thursday Jamie will be gone and asked me to do the teaching while the sub will be there to assist me and grade papers. WOW, I was a little shocked and excited all at the same time when she asked me to do this. So, I will be teaching reading, math and working with the students on their factoid tests and portfolios then getting them all ready to go home for the day. This afternoon was Jamies planning period, we spent the afternoon going over what I will be teaching next Thursday, was filled in on everything I needed to know about the students, and how different things work in the second grade "pod" of classes ( all the second grade classrooms teach the same thing and work very closely together, Seattle Hill has a very unique program - I'll explain it all some time).

During the day, I worked with another small math group on their odd and even numbers. This group of kids failed their assessment, they needed extra help and practice. The students will be given their assessment again tomorrow, I hope they do well. By the end of our time together all of the students seemed to understand but we will find out tomorrow if they really do or not. During reading I was in charge of the "meet with teacher" station. I worked with a group of high first graders and we worked on their arctic animal reports. We looked through all the information on the animal and high-lighted the important information/what they needed to know. This was very slow moving because, this is the first time they have ever had to research before. But, it was good experiance working with some of the first graders.

At the end of the day Jamie and Amy gave me a list of their students names with pictures so I can begin to learn all the students names for the second grade "pod". Oh man, so many to learn!

Those are the highlights for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment